SWS Website    SWS Forum - Main Page    SWS Forum - Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  General Wetland Topics    Wetland Delineation Software
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wetland Delineation Software
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have an experience with, or opinions of the Everglade or WetCollect wetland delineation software?

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Brandon Searcey
posted Hide Post
Hi Mason. Welcome to the forum.

I haven't used either one, but I do know the guys who developed the WetCollect software and have looked it over. It seems like a good product and could help stream line report production.

Posts: 301 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried them both, but I sell a competitive produce so my comments would have to be taken in that light. My product is called WetForm and runs on Windows computers, the Windows based PDA including GPS devices like modern Tribles, Android and even Windows mobile 5.x and 6.x cell phones and the desktop. My product does NOT require you to have internet connection to process your data. And there is no annual subscription. You get all updates free. You can get to a trial version of both the desktop and PDA versions at http://www.WetForm.com.

NOTE: WetForm now runs on Android devices as well and can be found on Google Play.

[Paragraph removed by SWS webmaster because of comments on a competitors software product. The remainder of this post is a response to a specific question, so we do not consider it an advertisement.]

My product is completely up-to-date and available for all regions and includes all of the Version 2's for some of the regions that COE has released. You would need the desktop version to produce forms, the PDA version just collects data and transferes it to the desktop using .csv text files. I have found syncronization (used by the other programs) to be flakey and if something goes wrong you may end up with corrupt data. With the .csv files you always have backup.

If you collect data on paper and don't want to deal with the PDA world, WetForm will let you quickly enter the data with lots of dropdown boxes and produce a PDF output that is almost identical to the COE forms, and you can easily include photos and maps.

Try the free demos.

Let me know if you have questions.

Pat

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patrick Murphy,

Posts: 1372 | Location: Boulder Colorado USA | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat, Just finished checking out your flash PDA demo. It wasn't clear to me if the software includes the plant species and soils for my region/county or if I need to find a file to upload.

Posts: 2 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plant species for all regions is included. You will have to use NRCS to find the soils mapping unit you are working in, but you can easily get GIS shape files for that that you can use in most GPS devices and in ArcPAD.

You only have to type in the soil name once, then it automatically becomes part of the dropdown box for all subsequent samples.

Posts: 1372 | Location: Boulder Colorado USA | Registered: 29 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a tip that may be useful to you. You can get free soil maps from the NRCS for your project area.
You can get to free paper (pdf) maps at: http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm
and you can get to free shape files with attributes that work great on ArcPad, ArcGIS, or AutoCAD at: http://soildatamart.nrcs.usda.gov/. Call me if you need some help with this. 303-444-4358.

posted Hide Post
I just revisited this thread and noticed that my review of competitive products was removed (rightly so) since I have a competitive product. However, if anyone else has had experience with any of these products,including WetForm, I would welcome comments. I would like to always improve WetForm, but one of the competitors has banned me from even using their product so I can't even test it.

Picture of Brandon Searcey
posted Hide Post
Pat. Wetform is working good for us. Definitely speeds up the process from field to office. I don't have many issues with it that are caused by the software, it has more to do with my older GPS unit.

No other experience with the others. I wanted simple and didn't need all the bells and whistle GIS stuff the others seem to offer.

How can you get banned from getting the other a competitors product? Just get someone you know to get the demo.

Posts: 301 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Brandon,
I tried to install the latest version of WC and I couldn't get it to install. I sent an email to WC to ask for assistance and then got a moderately irrate phone call from WC saying that they knew who I was and that I was violating the user agreement. I think what they are talking about was the following:

(iv) access the Service in order to (A) build a competitive product or service, or (B) copy any ideas, features, functions or graphics contained in the Service.

I wanted to do a simple comparison of features not build or copy their ideas, and WetForm was around for years before their product ever came out. I also don't want to get involved with lawyers, so I deleted all copies of the software on my devices(although I couldn't get it installed this time like I could before), and removed all direct references to WC on my web pages. Rather than make a lot of lawyers happy, I just have to work in the dark now unless I get feedback from someone who has used WC.

I would use your idea, but I don't even want to wonder if that would be a violation of the users agreement. So rather than ask someone I know to download and install WC, I just need to find someone who has done it on their own. I checked with the local Trimble sales office here in Colorado and they have never sold a copy of WC so I am at a dead end for now.

The funny thing is, I don't consider it a violation of my user agreement to use my product to compare with other products. I welcome comparisons, suggestions, and complaints. I want to improve WetForm as much as is reasonable for the typical user. Personally I like simple, but even simple can get complex with the different regional algorithms related to vegetation, soils, and hydrology. No software is perfect, and all software can be improved. That's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patrick Murphy,

posted Hide Post
WetForm has a new Android device software product that will give you access to all 8 continental US COE Manuals and species lists.

WetForm Regional Lookup will let you select the COE Region you want, then have complete access to the species lookup lists as well as the complete manual.

This simple program also gives you a screen with the option of selecting 12 species, entering the cover values and instantly identify the indicator status and the dominants based on the 50/20 rule. Cost is $18.50.

This will run on your Android device, including phones, 4” screens, 7” and 10” tablets. You can get to the software by going to Google Play on your device and doing a Search on “WetForm” or “wetland delineation”.

This is NOT the full version of WetForm Android, just a nice tool to use if you still prefer collecting data on paper forms.

You can get to a YouTube video of the program at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...UBc&feature=youtu.be